Grants available: Up to £12,000 plus other benefits
Applications close: Open 1st June closes midday 21st July 2023
Who is the funding for: Incorporated community businesses and organisations in England can apply.
The Discovery Fund is a new fund offered by Power to Change. Running over nine months, the fund is looking to work collaboratively with 20 community organisations who are interested in making and using technology to meet some of their current challenges. Each organisation will be provided with funding to undertake their own discovery work and will be offered a place on a cohort-based Design Hop programme.
The fund will provide the following:
- £10,000 to explore a tech solution to an existing challenge.
- An additional £2,000 to fund open working and engaging with the Community Tech community of practice.
- A free place on a Digital Design Hop: a structured design course to help move efficiently from challenge to solution.
- A network of experts and like-minded peers in a facilitated community of practice.
Funding is flexible and can be used to fund any eligible costs that meet the objectives of the fund, including:
- Research – reading, interviews, mapping, workshops etc as a way to ask questions, discover knowledge, refine ideas, scope out potential.
- Identifying and building partnerships to develop community tech.
- Spending time consulting with different experts.
- Undertaking learning journeys.
- Prototyping, testing and experimenting.
- Undertaking a Design Hop.
The open working funding can be used to:
- Spend time consulting with different experts.
- Pay for staff time to attend an open working course.
- Pay for staff time to write weeknotes or blogs.
- Pay for time and travel to engage with the Community Tech programme’s Community of Practice.
- Be involved in the Discovery Fund evaluation activity.
There is particular interest in projects led by communities experiencing ethnic or racial inequity, discrimination or inequality, disabled people, LGBTQ+ people, and people who are seeking asylum or who are refugees.
Incorporated community businesses and organisations in England can apply.