Household Support Fund for older residents; Can your organisation help?

In March this year, the Government announced that councils would be provided with funding to continue operating the Household Support Fund due to the impact of the rising costs of living.

Cambridgeshire has been allocated £3.58million, of which £1.2m will be used to support households that include a person who has reached state pension age (66) by 30 September 2022 and are experiencing financial hardship. This funding is only available for a short period, so Support Cambridgeshire is trying to get as many community groups and organisations to identify and support individuals to access this funding while it is still available.

What is the Household Support Fund?

A pot of money set aside by the Department for Work and Pensions which is provided to local authorities to support the local population in times of financial hardship. Awards of £100 will be given to those eligible, which does not have to be repaid.

What can it be used for?

To support purchasing:

  • Food and essential supplies
  • Paying for gas, electricity, oil or water in your home
  • Other essential supplies, such as repairs to your boiler to help keep you and your family warm


  • You were born on or before 30 September 1956
  • You live in Cambridgeshire
  • You are experiencing financial hardship
  • No one under the age of 19 (born after the 30 September 2003), lives with you
  • You earn less than £17,940 per year or are in receipt of one of the following:
    • Income Support
    • Income-based Job Seekers Allowance
    • Income-related Employment and Support Allowance
    • Pension Credit
    • Universal Credit
    • Working Tax Credit

How to access this support?

Go direct

Individuals can access this funding by applying through Age UK Cambridgshire and Peterborough;

  • 01223 221929 for Cambridgeshire area
  • 01733 565032 for Peterborough area,
  • or email

Trusted Partners

There are also a number of ‘Trusted Partners’ groups which can give this funding out, which can be found HERE.

Become a Trusted Partner

If you represent a local community group and would like to be considered to issue Household Support Fund direct awards, please email


What else can my organisation do?

Along with support to make sure this funding gets to those in need, we ask that this message is also cascaded out through your own marketing and communication channels. Click HRE to download the social media pack. Please note these images and pack have been provided by Cambridgeshire County Council.


Where can I find out more information?

Age UK Cambridgeshire and Peterborough website, has a range of information regarding this fund.

Household Support Fund (

Cambridgeshire County Council Website

Household Support Fund – Cambridgeshire County Council

Help us improve our website